Our Asphalt Services
Services We Provide:
- Construction from the ground up
- Golf cart paths & walking paths
- Private roads
- Cemetery roadways
- Commercial parking lots
- Church Parking lot
- Tennis Courts
- Airport hangars
- Asphalt curbing
- Decorative Stamped Asphalt
- Crushed or ground asphalt (recycled asphalt millings)
- Cold patch (winter pothole repair)
Asphalt Paving Overview
- Grading – Our experienced personnel are capable of grading everything from small driveways to large parking lots and roads. There is really no job to big or to small.
- Drainage – consideration is given and care is taken to insure that water drains properly (e.g. away from garages on driveways and to catch basins on parking lots).
- Gravel installation – if needed, we can bring any amount of gravel to the job site and because we buy in such great volume we can pass considerable savings on to the homeowner or general contractor.
- Application of Herbicide (Weed preventative measure -In order to afford the greatest protection against broad leaf weeds possible, we spray weed killer on each prepared driveway even if we do not see any weeds.)
- String-lining– String-lining of driveway or actual painting-out of areas to be paved. (In order to provide more aesthetically beautiful driveway, parking lot or road.)
- Our Asphalt: You, as our customer, can be assured of the finest quality of asphalt obtainable. All of the asphalt we use is made according to standards and guidelines set forth by the State of Michigan’s Department of Transportation in order to insure consistent quality hot-mix asphalt.
- Trucking -We are never far from the nearest asphalt plant and monitor the heat of the asphalt we use to know for certain that we will get the degree of compaction necessary.
- Compaction – Our drives are compacted with a vibratory steel double drum roller before the asphalt is installed in order to insure the best base possible for installation.
- Asphalt placement – We use state of the art self-propelled asphalt paving machines that lay a consistent course of hot mix asphalt. We generally install most paving jobs in two courses unless the home-owner or general contractor for good reason decides otherwise.
- Additional Compaction -We compact each course of asphalt laid with a vibratory steel drummed roller to provide the greatest degree of compaction possible to insure the greatest longevity possible.
Note to General Contractors
We are positioned to offer one-stop shopping for parking lot installations. From actual site excavation and preparation (including underground lighting preparation) to installing concrete curbing and islands and ultimately the placement of hot-mix asphalt.
Pulverization and Milling
There are many times when it makes more sense to pulverize or mill existing asphalt than tear-out the asphalt and haul it to the nearest asphalt plant where it will be ground up and reused in the manufacture of new asphalt. Pulverizing saves both time and money. Usually, after tearing out the old asphalt, some degree of gravel or sub-base is inadvertently hauled away with it requiring additional sub-base to be brought in and thereby adding to the price of the project. With pulverization the amount of good base material gleaned from the process off-sets the expense incurred to pulverize. In addition, Pulverizing only requires a fraction of the time to complete as compared to a traditional tear-out.
So, where time is of the essence, pulverization is hands down the best way to go. Think about it this way, instead of the asphalt plant using the material you, the customer, are getting the benefit of the recycling. Furthermore, by using the material as a sub-base no additional hydrocarbons are expended to make it a usable product — thereby, protecting the environment.
Prevents Reflective Cracking:
While there are times when it makes sense to install another layer of asphalt over an existing layer, a process known as overlaying or resurfacing, generally pulverizing and repaving makes more sense. Why? When you overlay you are, in time, inviting the cracks in the older layer of asphalt to come through or reflect through the newly installed layer — a process known as reflective cracking. Whereas, with pulverization you are starting from scratch. The propensity for cracking is much less.
Recycled Asphalt Millings (crushed or ground asphalt)
At a fraction of the cost of traditional hot-mix asphalt, recycled asphalt millings may be an excellent alternative for either a driveway, parking lot or private road. After properly grading and compacting the area where ground asphalt is to be installed, we install it using our asphalt track paver and compact it with a double-drum vibratory roller for a professional and manicured job. Crushed asphalt is less expensive than hot-mix asphalt or concrete, is less dusty or muddy than gravel and provides greater compaction than limestone. Moreover, crushed asphalt requires little or no maintenance and even helps melt snow. Crushed asphalt is also good for the environment because it is 100% recycled.
Less Is More
With proper maintenance asphalt lasts substantially longer than non-protected asphalt. However, many well intentioned people sealcoat their drive or parking lot for the wrong reason. They sealcoat under the misconception that sealcoating actually “seals” off their drive from the elements (e.g. from water getting into cracks and freezing, etc.). Many people who operate on the mistaken belief that heavily applied sealer will prevent water from penetrating, actually cause damage to the asphalt, because the accumulation of thick coats of sealer overtime becomes less elastic and more brittle, eventually cracking.
They further exacerbate the problem because when these layers of sealer bond with the asphalt beneath them, they score the asphalt they are bonded to causing it to crack also. Seal-coating, the name itself a misnomer, is really designed to protect asphalt from the Sun’s UV radiation. You see, the Sun, through a process known as oxidation, actually robs asphalt of the adhesive oils that holds it together. So, an even coat of asphalt sealer should be applied every two years to prevent it from oxidizing.
Whatever your striping needs call us first. We have a variety of stenciling and lettering and can usually stripe your parking lot or project within a day or two of your call.
Imagine a driveway with the look, texture, and durability of off-set brick at a third of the price of a paver stone driveway.
Concrete Services Provided:
Services We Provide:
- Decorative Stamped Concrete
- Concrete Curbing
- Sport courts
- Poured walls
- Garage Floors
Concrete service overview:
As stated above, there is virtually no excavation project that we can not handle. We have an incredible degree of proficiency in this area. We are committed to building the best foundation possible for installing our concrete. From the addition and compaction of base material to the care and attention we use installing our forms, the focus is always on delivering the kind and quality of product that we would want at our own homes.
Looking for something unique that will make your concrete sidewalk, patio, or driveway stand out? Consider our beautiful stamped concrete products. Click on the gallery below to see the possibilities.
Our Concrete – We can get whatever grade of concrete needed for your job, from footing mixes to 4000 psi or six bag mixes. For added tensile strength fiber mesh may be added to your mix.
Our Crews – There is no substitute for experience. Most of our personnel have been working together for over fifteen years.